Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Love Boat... soon you will be making another run

Welcome to the Love Boat... Ice cream that is. A staple on San Carlos Blvd heading towards Fort Myers Beach, the Love Boat has made friends old and new each season. Having passed by this lovely blue buildings many times on my way to the beach or Lovers Key, I finally decided to stop on our way home this past Saturday.



Location Information:

16229 San Carlos Blvd
Fort Myers, FL 33908
(239) 466-7707
Google Map

Now upon entering the establishment, I noticed that the inside tables were full, with patrons ranging from little children to the elderly. I mean, come on, who doesn't like ice cream? Also, with at least three dozen HOMEMADE choices, there has to be something for everyone (SUGAR FREE too, for those of you watching your waist lines, or being of the diabetic persuasion, made with Aspartame/Nutrasweet).

My comrade and I opted to get a child's portion (two small dips that amounted to around a cup). I had the Cinnamon Carmel Pecan and the Yellow Fudge Cake. Nothing was sweeter. The Cinnamon Carmel Pecan was good, but Yellow Fudge Cake was out of the ball park. BATTER BATTER BATTER SWING! And that yellow cake batter (if there was really some in it), was great.

My comrade on the other hand, had two traditional favorites, the Rum Raisin, and Cookies-n-Cream. Her take on the Cookies-n-Cream was definitely "creamy", but her favorite was the Rum Raison. Unlike some other places, you get just a sweet cream taste, with pockets of "rum" flavor. Not at the "Boat"! It was "Rummy" through out.



As something new for the blog entries, I will be including our total check: $4+$1 tip for 2 child portions.

All and all on the Hillbilly scale, the Love Boat Ice Cream has the following rating:
  1. Service: 4 out of 5. The young girl at the counter was a-typical high schooler. Especially the "huh" when I ask the question about how the sugar free ice cream was made. However, she was pleasant enough to talk to when checking out and made suggestions about the children's sizes.
  2. Food Quality: 5 out of 5. Best local ice cream I have had thus far!
  3. Expectation of the cliental: 5 out of 5. I didn't expect much from ice cream patrons, but the children were well behaved and there was not any geriatric handicap parking duels.
That gives the Love Boat a 4.667 on the Hill Billy Scale. If you are passing by on your way to the beach, stop in and have dip.

Until we eat again,

THBG

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had the pleasure of sampling the Love Boat's ice cream and my favorite is the black cherry. I live in Ohio and have eaten a lot of Handels in my day, but the Love Boat has taken the market on homemade ice cream. If you have the opportunity to be in Ft. Myers, Florida..stop by the Love Boat and try the black cherry ice cream. You won't be disappointed.

Luanne from Ohio

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

Thanks for the comment Luanne. BTW, I am from Cincinnati originally. What part of Ohio are you from and where is Handels?

sadlymztaken said...

I did my research on this place and others in the area. It was recommended by many reviews so we gave it a whirl and man am I glad we did. It was hands down the best ice cream ever (and trust me I am an ice cream guru). I believe this place is family owned and operated. When we walked in every seat in the house was full along with each picnic bench outside. I thought there would be a wait but the young girl greeted us within seconds and recommended the coffee toffee cone so I gave it a try. It was incredible! I don't know what they put in that stuff but it's truly like none other. I also found a coupon for $5.00 off online. We got two chocolate dipped waffle cones for $4.50. What a steal!!